I am interested in the history, development and circulation of medieval astronomical instruments in medieval Islamic societies.
My other research academic research interests are:
- Decline theories of Arabic-Islamic Science
- Medieval scientific social networks and the transmission and circulation of scientific knowledge in medieval Islamic societies.
- Scientific/technological objects as diplomatic gifts (water clocks, planetariums, clocks, instruments etc.)
- Digital humanities: using modern technology for humanities research, particularly in the history of science
Research interests related to popularization of Arabic-Islamic Science:
- “Fake” medieval astronomical instruments in public and private collections.
- Correct exhibition and description of medieval scientific objects and subjects in Museums and Exhibitions.
- Production methods and techniques for replica’s and reconstructions of medieval scientific instruments
- Development of hands-on workshops and lesson-plans for the popularization of Arabic-Islamic science.